StackPath allows you to connect to any of your Edge Computing Virtual Machine Instances over VNC. VNC is a graphical desktop-sharing system that is used to remotely control another computer. It relays input events and visual updates between two connected computers, a VNC server, and a VNC Client.
You must create a user with a password login to access an Virtual Machine over VNC. To learn how to create a user, follow this guide.
Before we get started, you will need to have a VNC client to connect to your Virtual Machine.
Verified VNC Clients
Verified VNC clients are confirmed to work with the latest release of StackPath's Remote Access feature. Other VNC clients may work but require additional configuration.
Connecting to VNC
This guide assumes Remote Management is enabled on your workload. Please review this guide if you are unsure how to enable remote management.
Port Forward the VNC server to your Local Machine
- Select the Workloads tab in the left-hand sidebar
- Select the Workload that contains the desired Instance
- Scroll down to Manage your Instances
- Select the Instance you would like to connect to
- The connection details will be prefilled under Remote Management > VNC Connection
VNC Connection Command Format:
ssh -p 9600 -L 5900:vnc:5900 <stack-id>.<instance-name>.<portal-username>@vnc-console.edgeengine.io
- Open your CLI and input the above command formatted to your VM.
- This can simply be copied from the Remote Management Section inside the VM Instance’s Overview Section.
- Press Enter and you will be prompted for your StackPath Account Password
$ ssh -p 9600 -L 5900:vnc:5900 <stack-id>.<instance-name>.<portal-username>@vnc-console.edgeengine.io
Welcome to StackPath VNC
- A VNC session is now open and ready to be connected to using your VNC Client. New connections will be accepted in the next 5 minutes.
Connect with a VNC Client
- Run the VNC Viewer of your choice and enter “localhost” as your VNC Server. For this example, we will be using the TigerVNC client for MacOS
Select the Connect option. No password should be prompted.
- Successfully connecting will establish the VNC connection and forward you to your last known state on the VM. If login is prompted, enter the username and password of your manually created user to login to the instance.