StackPath allows you to connect to any of your Edge Computing Virtual Machine Instances over Serial Console. StackPath's Serial Console utilizes Serial Communication to open a terminal to your Virtual Machine and manage your VM from anywhere in the world.
You must create a user with a password login to access an Virtual Machine over Serial Console. To learn how to create a user, follow this guide.
Connecting via Serial Console
This guide assumes Remote Management is enabled on your workload. Please review this guide if you are unsure how to enable remote management.
- Select the Workloads tab in the left-hand sidebar
- Select the Workload that contains the desired Instance
- Scroll down to Manage your Instances
- Select the Instance you would like to connect to
- The connection details will be prefilled under Remote Management > Serial Console Connection
Serial Console Connection Command Format:
ssh -p 9600 -L 5900:vnc:5900 <stack-id>.<instance-name>.<portal-username>@vnc-console.edgeengine.io
- Open your CLI and input the above command formatted to your VM.
- This can simply be copied from the Remote Management Section inside the VM Instance’s Overview Section.
- Press Enter and you will be prompted for your StackPath Account Password
$ ssh -p 9600 <stack-id>.<instance-name>.<portal-username>@serial-console.edgeengine.io
Welcome to StackPath Serial Console
- Entering a correct password will establish the serial connection and forward you to your last known state on the VM. If login is prompted, enter the username and password of your manually created user to login to the instance.
You are now connected and have your user's full permissions to manage your Virtual Machine.